Sunday, November 20, 2011

Corn Salsa!


Fresh Corn Salsa
If you have ever been to Chipotle, you may have seen or tried their corn salsa - I always get it there. I was searching the internet for a recipe I could make at home and stumbled upon Pioneer Woman's corn salsa

Here I attempt to make it myself...

Ingredients (adjusted slightly from the original)
4 ears Sweet Corn
3 whole Very Firm Avocados, Diced
1 Red Onion, Diced (use 1/2 if you aren't an onion person, red onions are very strong!)
1 Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced (leave seeds in for extra heat!)
1/2 Hot Chili Pepper, Seeded And Finely Diced (that's what the recipe calls for, I used a red bell pepper)
1 to 2 whole Juice Of Lime
Plenty Of Chopped Cilantro..nay, tons!!! I love cilantro!
Salt To Taste
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)


Directions
1. Gather all ingredients, make sure everything is washed, dry and ready to go. You will need a nice sharp chef's knife or other knife for slicing and dicing. Sturdy cutting board and other tools/gadgets

2.Cook corn in the microwave for 5 minutes. I placed mine in my Demarle large round mold and covered it with my Demarle octagonal silpat (comparable to a casserole dish and lid)..let cool

3. I then start with the onion, just get it over with tears and all. Chop it up! Place in mixing bowl (I love my Demarle mixing bowl, it has a handle to hold which is perfect for mixing which you will do soon..)

4. Dice red bell pepper and combine with onion

5. Cut off stem of jalapeno, seed and chop (you may leave some or all of the seeds in for extra heat) Combine with onion mixture
Note: wear gloves or wash hands very well after handling jalapenos, you will find out why if you do not!
6. Next is the avocado. I like to cut these in half, remove the seed then score the avocado into cubes and scoop out with a spoon, combine with other onion mixture

7. Squeeze the 1-2 limes onto the onion/avocado mixture to prevent avocado browning.

8. Back to the corn, simply cut off the kernels with a chef's knife and place into your mixing bowl with the other ingredients

9. Chop cilantro..medium to coarsely, combine with toher ingredients.

10. Lastly, add vinegar (optional), salt, sugar and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, best 24 hours later after all of the flavors combine and blend to create the best corn salsa ever!

Here are some pictures


  

Sweet, salty, crunchy, creamy and spicy all in one bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment