Last year we received grass-fed organic beef from a friend, free of charge! #communityminded. We've had everything from london broil, T-bone's, simple hamburger plus other cuts of beef I'd never heard of. The meat has lasted us more than a year, "thank you" to the Spears! In this recipe I get to use the chuck roast.
Below you'll see my ingredients, the roast was about 3.75 lbs, most recipes I found called for a 3-4 lbs roast so this was perfect. I cut the roast in half before I began cooking.
My recipe is adapted from Marie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Pot Roast Ingredients
3-4lb chuck roast
salt and pepper to taste
1 packet dry onion soup mix (sounds weird but I sift out the dried onions)
1.5 cups water
3 carrots, chopped (peeled or not)
1 onion, chopped
Potatoes (as much as you'd like - peeled or not), cubed
Celery (though I omitted)
- Drizzle some olive oil into a large pan, sear the onion and carrots for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat, about 4 minutes per side.
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and add the soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes, and celery (celery is optional).
- Cover and cook on Low setting for about 9-10 hours.
- Remove about 1 cup of drippings for a homemade gravy, optional
|1 onion, 3 carrots, chuck roast, 4 new potatoes|